LatinzineLatinzine
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 23:53:04 GMT
5 popular myths about Latinos

We are not created equal

We are not created equal (© Floresco Productions/Getty Images)
  • We are not created equal (© Floresco Productions/Getty Images)
  • Physical appearance (© Ron Levine/Getty Images)
  • Accents (© Moment/Getty Images)
  • Spicy Food (© Edgardo Contreras/Getty Images)
  • Temperament (© Peeter Viisimaa/Getty Images)
  • West-Side-story syndrome (© Kevin Russ/Getty Images)
Floresco Productions/Getty ImagesShow Thumbnails
Previous1 of 6Next
Compartir galerías

When it comes to Latinos, all men (or women) are not created equal. We are an ethnicity - not a race - thus we come in all shape and sizes. There is cultural cohesion among us that stems mostly from some shared values and a common language, but each country has very unique idiosyncrasies as well.

For the most, I know I’m preaching to the choir here. But it doesn’t hurt to take a fresh look every once in a while at some of the myths about us out there because we can be agents of change the more aware we are of them.

So I took an informal survey through my Facebook page and asked my friends to help me identify some of the most common myths. Here is what they came up with:

7Comments
Feb 1, 2013 1:17PM

Jeannie,

You could have gone soooo much deeper with this subject than this.....

About mexican women or men? They are beautiful to. All of them.
Feb 24, 2013 7:21AM
All I've got to say is: "I'm so lucky to have been born Hispanic".  I don't give a damn what the Gringos think.
Feb 14, 2013 12:37PM
Certainly one of the most superficial an stupid sthings I`ve ever read
Feb 1, 2013 5:30PM
I don't disagree SL3,  creo que hay mucha tela por donde cortar.
Feb 14, 2013 10:19AM

hahahahahahahaha, this is soooo true, but this sometimes is positive and sometimes not so positive and you know it`s not only a latin trait, i`ve also seen it in gringos....for example...